FRIENDS intervention planning
This FRIENDSHIP intervention planning resource pack was inspired by creating these free posters. You can still download these posters for free by going to this link.
Download: Friends Posters
This pack is suitable for WHOLE CLASS as well as group work. If there are teachers out there who have children who just don’t get along then try running this as an intervention during PSHE time. Each lesson will take approximately 40 minutes to an hour.
Each lesson is based on a letter from the word FRIENDS
It is perfect for an ELSA or teaching assistant who has to work with a group of children with friendship issues.
Included in this pack:
- FRIENDS certificates (children colour in a letter after each lesson and take them away at the end of the intervention).
- 7 planning sessions which could be done over several weeks.
- 40 positive friendship cards
- The Key to deserving good friends worksheet
- Five posters looking at skills for empathy.
- Skills for empathy bookmarks for the children to take away
- A ‘Friend’ venn worksheet.
- Heart friends template
- How to apologise bookmark for the children to take away after the lesson.
- I can find things I have in common with someone else
Children will explore interests with a person in the group or class and find common interests.
- I understand that I must respect my friend.
Children will explore respectful and disrespectful behaviour towards others focusing on the playground. They will design a poster showing a respectful playground.
- I understand the importance of including people in games, play, conversation and outings.
Children will play games to illustrate what it feels like to be included or not included.
- I understand the importance of empathy for being a good friend and for having a good friend.
Children will learn five skills to help them develop empathy for others.
- I understand why I need friends and why my friends need me.
Children will explore why they need friends. Why friends are important.
- I can tell you some of my qualities for being a good friend.
Children will explore their positive qualities essential for friendship.
- I can understand how important it is to say sorry if I am wrong.
Children will look at how to apologise in this lesson.