Some ideas for using these characteristic cards:
- Pick out all the positive words
- Pick out all the negative words
- Pick out a positive word that is the same letter as their name
- Write their name down the side of a piece of paper and the child has to find a word for each letter of their name.
- Pick out three words that describe them
- Pick out three words to describe their friend
- Use them to describe characters in books
- Find a word you like the sound of, look it up in a dictionary and try and use it in a sentence.
- Find 4 emotion words.
- Using their favourite superhero, choose words to describe them.
- Create their own character for a story by choosing words to describe them.
The list is endless.
Here is an example of an acrostic poem using character traits.
Use the blank ‘Character sheet’ and the cards ask your children to find ‘Positive’ words which begin with the appropriate letter which describe them.
Download: Character blank
Download: Character traits poster