Kindness (Empathy) Lapbook
Empathy is a very difficult thing to learn for children and this lapbook will help to teach the skills needed. I have named it ‘Kindness’ because being empathetic is about being kind isn’t it? Caring about other people’s feelings and wanting to help them in some way.
Children will learn how to recognise their own feelings and the feelings of others. They will learn to look at different perspectives and how to get the full picture. The vocabulary of pity, empathy, sympathy and compassion will be taught. Children will look at ways of showing that they care and will become ‘care collectors’ – they will collect times when they showed kindness and times when they received kindness. This will help them to see that it actually feels good to be kind and caring. Basic listening skills will be taught so that they know how to listen to someone who might have a problem.
Included in the pack:
‘Photos Pocket’ in colour and black and white.
- 27 photo cards showing real life children in a range of situations and with different emotions.
- 5 prompts cards which give suggestions on how to use the photos – eg. What do you think the person or people in the photograph are thinking?
- thinking bubbles and speaking bubbles for children to write or you to scribe what the child thinks the person is saying or thinking.
‘Perspective Pocket’ in colour and black and white
- 5 pictures showing how things can be seen in different ways
- 2 prompt cards to help you use the perspective pictures
- Looking at things from a different perspective activity cards for the children to fill in. They will use these with the scenario cards from a different pocket.
‘Scenario cards’ Pocket in colour and black and white
- 24 scenario cards – with scenarios such as – You and your friend are talking about someone in class. It is really funny and you look at them and laugh. They see you laughing.
- Blank cards for children to write real life scenarios or for you to write scenarios that are relevant to the child.
‘My Empathy Toolbox’ Pocket in colour and black and white
- Vocabulary cards for Pity, Sympathy, Empathy and Compassion – children will learn about each of these.
- Thermometer showing Pity, Sympathy, Empathy and Compassion – use for scaling activities explained later.
- Fan with pity, sympathy, empathy and compassion.
- Fan with emotion faces – Emoji – 8 different emotions with extra emotion vocabulary.
- Fan with emotion faces- children – 8 different emotions with extra emotion vocabulary.
- 2 prompt cards – with questions or statements such as ‘Look at the photo cards or scenario cards and ask the child to decide whether they would feel pity, sympathy, empathy or compassion. They can show you on their fan or thermometer.
‘Listening skills’ Pocket in colour and black and white:
- Good listening pictures and descriptions in colour and black and white.
‘Care Collector’ pocket in colour and black and white
- Care giver cards for the children to record times when they gave kindness or care to someone else.
- Care receiver cards for the children to record times when they received kindness or care from someone else.
‘How can I show I care?’ flower in colour and black and white.
- One flower with petals. The child write on the petals all the ways to show someone that they care.
Name and picture and title label for the front of the book
- Children write their name and draw a picture of themselves.
Back cover ‘5 Steps to Empathy’
- Prompts for children to use when thinking about being empathetic.
** PLEASE READ
This is a downloadable resource and a link will be sent to you by email automatically on purchase. Please ensure you have input the correct email address on the site when you purchase. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive your resource within a few minutes. You can also log into your account on the website using your username and password and download your resources from your purchase history.